Skip to main content

My Bicycle and Your Power Roots

 It was a dream to own a bicycle when I was in the elementary school. My dad gifted one only after my tenth exams, when I needed to go to my new school, about 5 kms from my home. I had learned a few things about the bicycle during this period. The primary instruction my dad gave me was to check the tyre, bell and brake before I take the bicycle. My first job was to lubricate the parts like chain, spokes hub, brakes, etc., every week. It wasn’t a tough job, but when I wanted to maximise the time at the playground, getting the willingness to do it was challenging.

My dad recommended not to install light kit in my bicycle as I wouldn’t require it all. Two of my friends had it, and so I was adamant and installed it and urged him that it would be useful during nights. I removed it later when it became loose and often made contact with the rim and slowed down the speed. Actually, apart from a few occasions, I never needed the light. Just removing this light kit helped me to reduce the cluster like the cables on the frame, light at the handlebar and the dynamo itself.

How annoying were the banging and the rattling sound coming from the mudguard! This was the simplest thing I could prevent but failed very often. If I forgot to tighten the loose nut in the morning, I was sure to miss the nut in the evening as the pits and stones of the road would take it, especially on Fridays as I would tighten the nuts using my hand, hoping that I would do it properly over the weekend. Same story for the pedal crank arm rubber - one of those rubber rods would be hanging under the foot.

The most disastrous situation is when the school bell rings in the evening and you wanted to fly home and find your bicycle has a flat tyre. I knew I shouldn’t be riding on a flat tyre which would damage the tyre and the rim, or even physical injuries to oneself on a bad road. Sadly, that one day, I decided to ride up to the bicycle repair shop which was about a kilometre, but I continued for some more distance with a friend and found it very hard to pedal. I had to replace the tube that time.



The plant’s roots determine whether the leaf attracts the sunlight and grows or the sun burns the leaf. Similarly, the powerful foundation of who you are determines what you can achieve in your life. The secret of showing your power to this world starts with owning yourself. By owning, I mean, you have to understand yourself well and start building on your talents. While the talent and goals may vary from person to person, here are a few roots that can empower your potentials.

Free your mind: When you find something that keeps your mind disturbed, don’t leave it for a long, attend to it at the earliest to avoid a greater damage. A small adjustment of the nut can quiet the noisy mudguard. A disturbed mind can only destroy you and your dreams.

Do some maintenance: Let us accept that there are things that are impossible. Though we may wish to have, there are many things that won’t be with us forever. It is natural to wear out, but don’t let things rusted away easily. Lubricating them when required will help. It won’t be a tough job, but when you want to maximise the time at other things, focusing on this is very difficult.

Avoid unnecessary attractions: Don’t go behind the things that are not required for you. It is quite normal to go for something when the surrounding people already got it. You will be carrying the burden of owning it unknowingly. It could be a material thing or a new skill. My bicycle never needed a light kit. Learn to forego of things.

Respect the irrecoverable: Don’t push beyond your limits on certain things. Yes, there will be a temptation to go ahead, to reach, to accomplish, but you will pay dearly for it later. You may buy a new bicycle tube easily, but few things are irrecoverable in life, like health, people. Learn to respect them and give the priority they deserve.

You don’t have to look for stimulus outside yourself. Just look within and do a micro-tweaking and rekindle and strengthen your natural talents. Use those understandings you glean to discover deeper about you, your values and your goals. That will attract the rest of the outside powers you require, wherever they are in this universe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோஷம் சந்தோஷம் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu