Skip to main content

Surviving the Generation Gap

We were recently discussing the decrease in attention spans and decided, somewhat casually, to count the number of people entering the lunch hall while looking at their phones. It felt unnecessary, as almost everyone was glued to their mobile. This wasn’t the case in years past. Is this a generation gap? Mobile phone usage is just another addiction, like anything else, and it has nothing to do with the generational differences. Yet, the reasons people use their phones might signal a generation gap. Or maybe the very dependence on mobile devices in daily life reveals an underlying generational divide. We weren’t entirely conclusive.

Generation gaps are inevitable, as change is universal, and it is the adaptation to these changes that creates the gap. Differences in thought, social norms, and behaviour naturally emerge over time, creating a distinct divide between younger and older generations. When things like climate change can play a role in shaping these differences, it is clear some factors are beyond our control. Is the generation gap a problem? Yes, in some ways.
For example, when someone emphasises the importance of face-to-face conversation, but we feel we’ve accomplished the same through a few text messages, the generation gap becomes evident and a problem. If such differences are left to fester, they can go out of hand very fast.

Is there a solution? I don't think there exists one. At best, we can mitigate the effects by understanding and working through them. But who should be doing the understanding - the younger generation or the older one? The older generation certainly holds some advantages, especially in terms of experience and authority. If dad tells us not to use certain words at home because he finds them disrespectful, we might comply, although our friends think those words are perfectly fine. Of course, years later, we may happily pass those words on to our own kids, until they grow old enough to invent their own set of “cool” words.

While one generation holds the power of tradition and experience, the younger generation often has an intuitive grasp of new technologies. This ability allows them to drive innovations and paradigm shifts, which are essential for the present and future. If the older generation hesitates to listen to the younger one, they might unintentionally delay the much-needed progress. Clearly, both generations must adjust and understand each other to coexist harmoniously and successfully.

Every generation has its own uniqueness, and it’s crucial that we recognise and engage with it. Doing so helps us establish reference points. When conflicts arise, these reference points allow us to understand where others are coming from and view situations from their perspective. This is especially important when living with people from multiple generations - that is the case mostly.

Not everything comes and goes within a single generation. Some things require multiple generations to become established, and some values transcend time. Therefore, it is important to pass certain values on to the next generation, even if they do not immediately embrace them. Conversely, we must recognise the things that have become needless over time and discard them.

As individuals, what can we do? I believe that each person should live by a few core principles - values so essential that we would be willing to pay the price to uphold them. Keeping this list of principles short helps us adapt more easily to new things. A long list, however, can make us rigid, resistant to change, and prone to complaints. Whether we like it or not, we must be aware of generational nuances, acknowledge the contrasting behaviours and styles of different age groups, and move forward as best we can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

New Year Resolution 2013

Though it looks very much similar to the previous years, it is still not the same. My wish list for 2013 :) Very much addicted to the the lovely voice in Um Paadham Panithen , words of God Will Make a Way , music and lyrics of Oru Naalil Vazhkai and the messages of Joel Osteen will continue to listen them, repeatedly.  Hoping to watch lots of videos of Marissa Mayer. Like one of my friends Madhavi, she is very energetic, enthusiastic, quick and inspiring.  It is between 72 - 75 kgs for the past five years and it is fine for me. Though I am less confident about it, hoping to remain in that range.  I should write at least one blog in every month.  I read few good books in 2012 and I should read at least 12 books in 2013 and write a summary of it. Here is the list of books I have (yet to read almost all of them) Unlike last year, after listening to my colleague Muthukumaran , decided to attend the weddings (reception - only if attending the wedding is not possible) of my friend