Skip to main content

And, That Knowing Is Not Easy


 

She is an elderly person, possibly in her eighties.

It is a very busy road and adherence to traffic rules seems to be non-existent and is possibly not a mandatory thing. Of course, it works in congested areas like these. People navigate smartly, finding the best ways to move themselves around. There is a sequence of bus stops for different directions, and for the long distance travel. There are autos and private vehicles. The traffic police can’t help much as the issue demands more infrastructural solutions than mere discipline. One good thing about this is, there is less likely a chance for any major accident.

She is weak. Despite her age and a bent back, she can walk. Of course, with the aid of a walking stick.

There's a sidewalk designated for pedestrians, but I tend to avoid it. It's often overcrowded, serving as a terminus for numerous buses and crowded by passengers boarding and alighting. And there are slow to very slow walkers. And plus the scattered litter. Even walking in the middle lane, amid buses parked in the first lane, doesn't feel unsafe or disrupt traffic flow. But yes, the proximity of blaring horns, glaring lights, and the need for extreme vigilance to gauge vehicle speeds and adjust my own pace make it challenging. 

Her technique is just to walk in a straight line as much as possible.

If you've observed dogs crossing roads amid moderate traffic, you'll notice their alertness and restlessness like behaviour. They walk and run, slowdown and quicken their pace, change direction, and eventually make it to the other side. I find myself moving similarly, albeit without fear or a sense of losing control. When you don’t have the control, the only option is to keep moving, leaving the rest to external, others. Perhaps, for those who believe in destiny, it governs, and our control is just an illusion.

She embodies life. Or is she a lifeless?

The moment I see people like her, I immediately ask “God, why?”. Yet lately, I quickly dismiss it with “that’s why, God.” It doesn’t matter what the situation is, some inner force drives us, utilising the last-est ounce of the every tiny unknowns in us for this journey called life. Why this life, her life, required? Don’t know yet, but I’m beginning to believe that lifelessness is not knowing what to do with this life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோஷம் சந்தோஷம் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

மோகத்தை கொன்று விடு அல்லால்...

சட்டென்று சலனம் வருமென்று ஜாதகத்தில் சொல்லலையே... நெஞ்சோடு காதல் வருமென்று நேற்றுவரை நம்பலையே! - மனம் விரும்புதே உன்னை... உன்னை என திரையிசைக்காய் வைரமுத்து எழுதிய வரிகள் இவை. " காணின் குவளை கவிழ்ந்து நிலன் நோக்கும்; மாணிழை கண்ணொவ்வேம் என்று " இது வள்ளுவரின் சில நூறு குறள்களில் ஒன்று. அன்றைய சங்கத் தமிழுக்கும் இல்லாமல் இன்றைய திரைவடிவுக்கும் இல்லாமல் வாழ்வியல் அறம் கூறியும், கொழுந்து விட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்த விடுதலை தீயினிடையிலும் பா வடித்தவர் பாரதியார். " கச்சணிந்த கொங்கை மாதர் கண்கள் வீசு போதினும், அச்சமில்லை அச்சமில்லை அச்சமென்பதில்லையே" இது அவரது வீரம் தொனிக்கும் அச்சமில்லை பாடலின் வரிகள். எந்தக் கவிஞனுக்கும் இது அழகு என்பதால், காதல் சுவையில் பாரதியும் கவிதை எழுதியிருப்பது எனக்கொன்றும் பெரிய ஆச்சரியத்தை ஏற்படுத்தவில்லை. மின்னல், வீசும் இளங்காற்று, மழை, மேகம், அந்திமாலை என எல்லாம் காதல் அரும்ப உகந்த காரணிகள் போலும்! பாரதியும் அப்படித்தான் துவங்குகிறார். " சந்திர னொளியில் அவளைக் கண்டேன்; சரண மென்று புகுந்து கொண்டேன்; இந்திரி யங்களை வென்று விட்டேன்; எனதெனாசையைக