Skip to main content

Empowering your power

 Marvel of Peru, Mirabilis Jalapa and Four O’clock Flower are the names I found on the Internet and the name I know is Anjumani poo (அஞ்சுமணிப் பூ) and it was one of my favourites in my schooldays. We had a long single line of flower plants in our home. There were Kanagambaram, Malli, Saamanthi and a few more. Although I liked them all, I liked this plant very much. It was very beautiful in the evening, especially at moonlight. It is very easy to grow, and it grows very fast. I loved watching them grow, from the seed to the plant full of flowers. That was why I was so upset when my dad cut it.



Well, it is all about the rose plant that was my dad’s pet. It was almost lifeless when I brought it from my aunt’s home. He watered it every day, both in the morning and in the evening. That was fundamental for its life. He used the tea powder that he got from the nearby tea shop. I brought the donkey dung (manure for rose) that I found around the playground, that helped me to play extra time with my friends without getting punished at home. The pot was not good enough for the roots to go deeper. After a few weeks, my dad moved it to the ground; it had a nice pink rose at that time.

It looked lovelier in the circular paathi than in the pot. It started growing faster than the initial weeks. The roses were big, very bright and beautiful, and my aunt always wondered how the rose plant at her home was not like this one. My dad arranged bamboo support sticks for it to grow taller. It was then that happened that shocked me. He plucked most of the Anjumani plants around the rose plant and threw them in the dustbin. I couldn’t resist my anger when I saw it as somehow I was more attached to it and my dad knew it. But he felt that removing it would help the rose. He consoled me saying that I would get lots of them soon and of course, that was true.

My dad took care of it in all respects, and it had grown taller. The fragrance of the fresh roses filled the mornings. At that age of mine, it looked like a tree to me. In fact, I haven’t seen a rose plant with the base stem as strong as that one. Maybe all rose plants have the same potential, but not all can grow like that. It may become weak and grow pale when the required attention and care are not given. We may even pluck and throw it away as useless. Our skills are like that rose plant, and it needs our efforts and sacrifices to make it shine brighter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோஷம் சந்தோஷம் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu