Skip to main content

My Hansie and his ABCD kit

He moved closer. He moved a little closer without changing his gaze at it. That was a moment of realisation for me. It was a heartbreaking few seconds.

I can’t express that feeling. May be, it was like this: Young mom working while the child was lying on the play mat. The child cries suddenly. She gives the child few things to play. The child cries again in a minute. She mumbles about her important work and asks the child to play with the toys, though the child can’t understand it. This repeats and her work get interrupted. She takes the child angrily and notices an ant biting her child. It takes no time for the tears to flow. The heart-quake at the magnitude of 10.0.

I was arranging my books and Hansie came from the other room. He saw what I was doing and moved closer to it. He moved a little closer without changing his gaze at the books. “Hey, Hansie!”, I tried to get his attention. His eyes unmoved. Suddenly, I felt I realised something. It was a heartbreaking few seconds that just like the mother realising the ant bites. I felt like punishing myself.




Loads of past scenes floated around my head. How eagerly he was running with the hard board book I bought for my friends’ kid! He usually comes and sits on my lap while I read the newspaper. But I never thought that he too wanted to read it. I should have felt it. I was annoyed when he tore a set of magazines one day. Now I am annoyed with myself. I didn’t realise that he was tearing magazines out of his frustration — his inability to read it. My heart was broken.

I should have realised all these signs very early. Now what? They say nothing is impossible. It is never too late. I am seriously thinking of buying an ABDC kit for him. There will be a day when I need to suggest books to him. I am sure he won’t see Shoe Dog as a book for him.

I wonder how Emma managed to praise this Murphy book. I find it very hard to understand. I might not recommend this to Hansie. Anita Krishan’s Fluffy and Me is good. I think it won’t be Hansie’s favourite. I liked Michael Morpurgo’s Born to Run. Kids at home will love to read it. I hope Hansie too will like it. My Hansie will go mad if he sees W. Bruce Cameron’s books.

“Hansie”, I called him again. He smelled the books and came and sat near me. I gave him few biscuits. He started munching it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோஷம் சந்தோஷம் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu