Skip to main content

It is TIME. Wake up!

Me: How is China always getting lots of medals?
Dad: They pick kids early and train very hard. The communists are well organised and too strict and blah blah blah.

This was during one of the Olympics when I was in school. Now I did a web search and found many articles. Here is one of them: Why is China so successful in the Olympics? and one more of them ;) Meteoric Rise of China in Olympics.

Have you heard about Nazi’s concentration camps? Your heart will cry hearing those stories. These stories show that the level of pain and suffering one can endure is limitless and directly proportional to the hope the person got for the stronger future.

Have you observed the activities that this generation little kids do? Sports class, music class, … all coaching classes! You won’t find anything missing. I often feel their day is too busy. I don’t think any of my classmates were this busy. Are we becoming a little cruel in the name of betterment?

Okay! The point is that I am capable of doing more than what I think I can do at any given moment.

I am keeping myself busy 24 hours everyday including 6–8 hours sleep time. What more can I do? Someone says I can. CAN I? That is a bit surprising! I got only 24 hours and so are others. How can I do more? Is there a magic button that is going to slow down the clock? Well, it is not yet proved that I can get more than 24 hours here. But what is proved by millions is that I can do a lot more purposeful things by using these 24 hours. Is it a joke? Am I not living a purpose driven life already, am I not using my time properly?

Let me take a moment to think how I am spending my time :)

I work ;) I take few short coffee breaks to rejuvenate myself. I read or watch news, not all the news but mostly sports and politics. I play games like Tennis, Carom or Chess. I talk to my friends as it is essential to spend time with someone other than me to have some kind of reflection on what is going on. I spend time at home. I play few mobile games as I get lots of games that help me psychologically. I do listen to music. I read books. I do some health activities. Of course, time for food. There are few new things that come randomly like cycling event, trekking. Well, each of these got some sub activities too. And I do many more.

Wow, is it me? Am I not doing a lot more than many of my friends of my age do? Or is this what most of my friends also do?

It is actually very tough to argue which is good and which is not. It is all depends on why someone needs it. Maybe, cigarette smoking is good and so is taking alcohol. Swimming is good. Learning foreign languages is good. Helping elders is good. Saving environment is good. Yes, the list is infinite. This world is now ready with so many options. If you miss your focus for a moment it will fill your hands with hundreds of good things that you can pursue. You will get addicted. Of course, addicted to doing the so called good things. Getting addicted to something itself is not bad but whether you wanted to let yourself get addicted to that thing is what matters. Okay, we may use the word passion for the intentional addiction. I think the extension of passion when resulting in helping others can be called as your purpose of life.

Oh, too many thoughts. What am I thinking? :(

1. I have 24 hours everyday.
2. I am physically and mentally stronger than what I believe I am.
3. This life is a blessing. I should make it a deserving one.

I should understand (1) and (2) and achieve (3).

I don’t have to do so many things for the sake of doing. Or just because someone else is doing. I don’t have to follow the routines ritually. I should move towards my peak efficiency. My single minded immersion is going to bring forth the best of me. I need to give up few things to focus on few great things. I am sure all the micro distractions can harm my goals without even giving me any hint on the damage they do. I know saying NO is one of the hardest things and I also know that the hardest things are achieved by starting with small. I should try one NO at a time. If NO to a thing is difficult then I will start with NO to a part of it and continue.

Yes, I am not going to get more time to do things but I can do more meaningful things within the time I get. All I have to do is to prioritise things and eliminate the unnecessary ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோஷம் சந்தோஷம் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu