Skip to main content

Featherless parrots

You may love pets but usually it is people at home who take care of them a lot than you. They too love them, of course, caring can’t stay away from love for a long. My mother, aged over 60 now, never asked for any pet animals or birds but we always get one or more at home and she loves them. Now we got two green parrots.

They wake up very early and start chattering. My mom would be preparing morning coffee and she would be having a “hey, don’t make noise, keep quite” kind of conversations. Now and then all three would forget each other and let the morning quietness return.

The parrots take bath almost everyday. They always try to run and hide when it is time for bath. I wonder how they know it! We put them in the bucket and turn on the tap. They like it that way. They will be in deep calm for at least 1/2 hour after the bath as if a great saint in a deep meditation.

My mom keeps one parrot on her shoulder most of the time during her morning chores. She keeps talking to them and so are they. I know both my mom and they don’t understand what is spoken but I am sure they know that they are talking to each other.

Sometimes the parrots miss my mom and make noise that sounds like the names of our family members and they start whistling and if no response for sometime and then they keep shouting till they hear mom’s voice. Sometimes my mom misses them and suddenly she go and search for them as if something bad had happened to them. They would be sitting and sleeping somewhere down under the table or something. And my mom would say, “Oh, you both are here, can’t you hear me shouting?”



The parrots got their wing feathers clipped and hence they can’t fly. Birds fly. Aren’t they? We got a small cage for the parrots. Is it cruel to keep them in the cage? The cage is the constant reminder of the freedom they miss. No matter how much conditioning one do, the moment of freedom got its own blissfulness.

Is our home a cage for my mom? Neither the mind nor the heart says yes yet the fear of hearing yes crops up from somewhere. Is she just like those parrots? She got everything - from shelter, food, … to love, very much like the parrots - is she still missing something that is the very thing that means of her own life? I don’t think so. Unlike parrots, no one is cutting her feathers. She can do whatever she want. Getting older is the design of the God and common for everyone. I can’t do anything for it. Roaming in the wild and flying in the sky could be the freedom for parrots but I don’t see anything as “freedom” once she is very old and only God can be blamed for it. The best I can do for her is to let her be my mother in the way what she feels is mother.

You stay far from your mom and work in a remote place. She surely wants to hear your voice everyday. You do it everyday without forgetting. You don’t yell at her nor you stop calling just because she says something that you don’t want to hear. You stay with your spouse and kids at another place. Yes, she wants to see you and kids on every possible holidays. You don’t miss it too. You ensure your holidays are shared with your mom too. She is a generation behind. You don’t expect her to match you and your kids speed. You listen to her so called non-senses without complaining. She stays with your family and try to do whatever she can to help you. You let her do only the things that her age permits and not the things you need to have done by someone. And there are hundreds of simple things that she longs and you don’t understand. You just have to know there are still things remain to be understood. Be watchful. She lost every bit of her in the name of motherhood and the love is the only thing that is still remaining with her now and till the end of her. You ensure you are always there to receive them to the fullest with the purest heart. - How do I make myself deserve a Mother’s Day celebrations?

I don’t believe in it but if you think you got something to celebrate on this Mother’s day, happy Mother’s day :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோŕ®·ŕ®®் சந்தோŕ®·ŕ®®் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu