Skip to main content

Yahoo! vs Google Search

Enter !mail email-address in the search box and what would be your reaction if you get an email compose window as a result? Try Yahoo!Search to feel it.

I had taken a pledge to try not using Google for any real purpose for one month, including the search that I use too often. I decided to try Yahoo!Search instead of considering any other alternatives.

Yahoo!Search home page is as simple and as plain as Google search home page. Yet I find it very alien. In fact, for the first two days, as soon as I entered into Yahoo!Search page I felt I had landed up in a wrong place. Of course, no wonder, as I am using Google search since my college days.

Yahoo!Search Homepage

Yahoo_SearchHome

While entering keywords I found a greyish blue line appearing below the text box. Too ugly? Bug? --- It is an auto suggestion list without data.

Yahoo!Search Auto-suggestion

Yahoo_Blue_Bar

Auto-suggestion is useful too! I had the DOB of Olympics 2008 participants and I wanted to calculate the age. I thought I need the DATEDIFF function to get the query. To get the syntax, I started typing Mysql DateDiff and I couldn’t believe, the auto suggestion came up with "MySql DateDiff age" as one of the suggestions, exactly the one I was looking for.

Yahoo!Search Auto-suggestion

Yahoo_AutoSuggest1

Another impressive one: I wanted to understand quickmode flag in RSS, to recover the corrupted Thunderbird RSS feeds. I entered RSS quickmode=false. Yahoo!Search made it very comfortable by showing "RSS quickmode=false Thunderbird" under explore concepts.

Yahoo!Search Auto-suggestion:

Yahoo_AutoSuggest

Google

Google_NoAuto

Another interesting thing, when I entered "americaan president", both Yahoo!Search and Google seem to be doing something useful by including 'american president' in the result. However, if I really wanted to search "americaan president", Yahoo!Search is straight forward.

Yahoo!Search Misspelled words

Yahoo_Spelling


Google Misspelled words

Google_Spelling

Though I have anti-virus software installed in my machine, it is a kind of secured feeling to have the search results from the list scanned by the anti-virus software with the latest definitions.

Yahoo!Search SearchScan
Yahoo_Antivirus

Initially I was comparing the results from Yahoo!Search and Google search. Google search results are always more but it doesn't really matter, after all I never think of clicking more than three pages. Picking the right link is as important as the search result itself. Since most of my search is from the domain of my knowledge, I was able to easily pick the proper links.

I won't say Yahoo!Search is better than Google. But for my requirement both are equal. I am planning to use Yahoo!Search for some more time. I feel, it does deserve ;-)

More on Yahoo!Search:
Basics - 1
Basics - 2
Shortcuts

Kovil Pillai P.

*

Comments

I think I should start using Yahoo!Search... looks an ounce better than Google...

Any comparisons on the response time???
DreamingAway said…
Well, Google is slightly faster. And the company I work has a dedicated line for Google Search. And obviously that is too fast. But in general the difference is ignorable ;-)

Popular posts from this blog

The Kite Runner

Usually, I buy and read book suggested by my friends but no one suggested me to read the book "The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini". I neither heard about it before I accidentally bought it. I was looking for the books I planned to buy in the Chennai Bookfair 2011 and I found this book . There was something attractive, though it was not as beautiful as of many of the books cover design, it should be the cover of it, because all I could see was only the book cover. I took it in my hand and asked myself, should I buy this?, yes was the answer and I bought it. I completed reading this book last week, after keeping it the shelf for almost 2 years. I am glad I got this book. It is one of best books I read in the recent years. The phrase " For you, a thousand times over " lingering in the mind is the proof that I really enjoyed reading this book and moved so much ;) " I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 1975 &

சந்தோஷம் சந்தோஷம் - Vijay song

Kovil Pillai P.

New Year Resolution 2015

Another new year, another ( same! ) set of new year resolutions. I wanted to read Thirukural and set target 50 last year but couldn't achieve it. But then I used one Kural in my every blog post . New Year Resolution List: For year 2016, I should shorten it to at least 1/3 of this list. At least, make it more readable ;) Reading Books: Book reading is going to be reduced this year. I am planning to reread few of the books I read last year. Of course, will find time to read books suggested by friends. I have got Bhagavad Gita tamil version from my friend and might read this before the end of 2015. I Am Malala, The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ, Mossad, 'The Madman, The Forerunner, Spirits Rebellious', Yudhargal Varalaarum Vaazkaiyum, If You Meet The Buddha On The Road Kill Him are few of the books I enjoyed reading. By the way, I have changed the FB album title from "Books I read" to "Books I read - Not To Be Shared" ;) Accounting: How difficu